Monday, December 10, 2007

Spirit of the Season

I need help. Thanksgiving for me this year was a bit of a let-down. Don't get me wrong, the food was great, but there was something missing. Dave and I agreed as we were driving home from my parents that evening that it felt like any other Sunday. It didn't feel different, or special, like an important day where we focus on being thankful.

This is where I need help, as I come into the Christmas season, I want to really feel the spirit of the season, I don't want Christmas day to feel like just another holiday where Dave and I are running back and forth between families. Do you have any traditions or ideas that help you with this? For either Thanksgiving, that we can try out next year, or Christmas, we can do this year? I would love any ideas you can give me!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Well good thing mom and I spent hours preparing for Thanksgiving for it to feel just like any other Sunday!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Starting the day after Thanksgiving Adam and I start celebrating the season. We put up our decorations, listen to Christmas music, burn Christmas candles and try to do Christmassy things all month.

I really think it is all about taking time at night to do nothing like listen to Christmas music while playing games and sipping hot chocolate...or watching a Christmas movie.

It seems you've already kicked off the season by seeing the lights. :) So that is a start.

Just think back to your favorite aspects of the season during your childhood and do them now :)

Talai said...

I think food can make a difference. We always make a danish pancake called ebleskeebers (I don't even think that is how you spell it) and that separates the day from others.

Rebecca W. said...

My family always celebrates Advent the four Sundays before Christmas. You buy a wreath for the table and place four candles on or inside it-whatever won't cause a fire. Then each Sunday night you light a candle (until all four are lit-then you know it's close to Christmas) and sit with family/friends to sing songs and tell a Christmas story. Afterwords, you enjoy dessert!