Friday, May 22, 2009

It's not easy being a Mom!




I never knew how difficult it was to be a Mom until I became one, I am not referring to the middle of the night feedings or the screaming for no apparent reason.

Earlier this week we had McKenna's 2 week check up where they did her second PKU test. For those of you who don't know what this is they prick your babies foot and then drip blood onto eight rather large circles on a piece of paper. I know that this sounds like no big deal, and I am know in the grand scheme of things it isn't. But, for a first time mother to sit there holding her screaming child while the nurse tells you that your baby is the best bleeder she has ever had, it is kind of traumatic.

I was telling my Mom about how I was almost in tears while this was happening and she told me I am definitely going to need to toughen up. Not exactly the sympathy I was looking for, but it made me think. The more I thought about this the more I realized that this is true.

It kind of hit me hard that this was the first time in McKenna's life that someone was hurting her and she was turning to me to make them stop and for comfort. It kind of scared me because I would do anything in the world to stop her from experiencing pain and being hurt, but I won't be able to shield her from so much. The world is such a big scary place, and you love your kids so much, how do you protect them from all of the bad stuff out there?

3 comments:

Abby said...

I love that pitcher of Mcenna shes
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i LOVE IT.See ya at mamanices love you

bloggingchristy said...

When Scott got his first shots, I was bawling my eyes out!!! I remember because the nurse looked at me and was like , "is this your first?"

It gets easier.

Lloyd Family said...

You don't need to "toughen up." Having children is like wearing your heart on you sleeve. I don't think it gets easier, you just get used to having those protective/vulnerable feelings. I know exactly how you feel. You are such a great mom. McKenna is a lucky little girl.